The following blog post was written by Gaurav Nagpal, a Career Coach with the Corporate Readiness Training Program (CRTP) at the Centre for Excellence in Immigrant and Intercultural Advancement.
New developments and technologies are bringing change into the workplace at a rapid pace. These changes can push us out of our comfort zones. One of these emerging trends in human resources is to interview candidates over Skype.
Here are several things you can do to prepare yourself for a successful Skype interview:
Dress for success
- Make sure you wear business attire for the interview even though the interview is over the internet.
Practice a day before
- Practicing a day before with a friend or family member will ensure that you have good internet connection, voice, and video clarity. Pick a place to sit for the interview that is bright and has a decent background. Choose a background that is not distracting to the interviewer.
Pay attention to physical movements
- It is understandable that some people are expressive while they are talking. However, it is advisable to keep your physical movements to a minimum as it may cause video delays or make the interviewer feel uncomfortable.
- Make sure that no children or pets are around the interview area. Request a family member to take care of children and keep pets away for a couple of hours.
- The most important aspect to consider for a Skype interview is to make sure you look into the camera so that you are making eye contact with the interviewer.
Have you ever had a Skype interview? Please share your experiences.