The following blog post was written by Heidi Beyer, a faculty member at the Centre for Excellence in Immigrant and Intercultural Advancement (CEIIA). This blog post is part of our Conference Reflection blog series. The blog series is an opportunity for Centre faculty to share a key finding or teaching technique learned at a conference.
On October 14, at the Alberta Teachers of English as a Second Language (ATESL) conference in Edmonton, Bow Valley College was pleased to present the session entitled The Adoption of Educational Resources in ELL Classrooms. Diane Hardy, Veena Zarour-Murthy and I shared the e-textbook In the Workplace: An Intermediate Integrated Skills Textbook with attendees. During the session, we:
- discussed the innovative partnership between Bow Valley College and NorQuest College funded by Alberta Open Educational Resources to produce and adopt two e-textbooks
- the development process of In the Workplace: An Intermediate Integrated Skills Textbook
- walked through the structure and features of the resource
- shared feedback and findings from the current pilot of the resource, currently underway in ELL classes in Calgary and the Region
The resource is freely available to everyone online, along with the accompanying Instructor Guide.
The interactive resource includes both audio and video materials aimed at CLB learners 5-6 and can be used as both a core textbook, or to enrich and support classroom instruction. Four lucky attendees went home with printed copies of the resource, but the resource is freely available to everyone online, along with the accompanying Instructor Guide.
The pilot project is ongoing during the fall trimester and aims to provide considerations for the successful adoption of OER by ELL practitioners in post-secondary institutions. Findings from the research will be shared here in a public report, as well as in a webinar in the new year. Keep in touch with the Centre for more information.
- Previous Story A Sneak Peek into 2017 at the IC
- Next Story Make Dollars Make Sense: Financial Management for Non-Profits