November is Financial Literacy Month in Canada.
Financial literacy instruction is new territory for many ESL Literacy practitioners, so we've put together a list of Canadian financial literacy resources to support classroom instruction:
- Financial ESL Literacy Toolbox: resources and lesson plans for building financial literacy with ESL Literacy learners
- Newcomer Finances Toolkit from the Ottawa Community Loan Fund which includes an online practice bank machine and a direct payment (debit) machine
- Banking for All: information on how to open a free or low-cost chequing account at a regulated bank
- English for Financial Literacy: an online interactive tool created by the Toronto Catholic District School board
- The ABCs of Practical Literacy: Economic Literacy: a collection of classroom activities for ESL Literacy learners
- Recommendations for Integrating Numeracy: program and classroom considerations for integrating numeracy skills
The ESL Literacy Network has invited Heidi Beyer to guest blog on financial literacy in November. Heidi has a wealth of experience in the field of financial and ESL Literacy and was a key contributor to the Financial ESL Literacy Toolbox. Heidi has seen first hand how financial literacy empowers learners and changes lives. Check the blog every week for her financial literacy blog posts.
- Next Story Using Music in the Classroom