Bow Valley College is moving towards adopting sustainable procurement practices, whereby all products coming onto campus do so through a sustainability lens. Pricing, product, durability, environmental and social impact will be taken into consideration. The IC is doing our part to contributing to a lighter environmental and socially conscious footprint by becoming more responsible with how we purchase items for the Intercultural Centre.
A few things that we are doing,
- Reducing the amount of swag that we give out at our events
- Choosing swag that is environmentally friendly and reusable, ie. stainless steel drinking straws
- Buying smart. Not buying more than we need.
- Purchasing ICan Crew volunteer t-shirts that are 100% cotton, ecofriendly and Fairtrade.
- Each volunteer only receives one volunteer t-shirt to be reused at each volunteer event.
In addition to procurement, the IC has supported sustainability practices on campus and within the community. Promoting volunteer engagement at Green Calgary and Grow Calgary and hosting events on campus such as Earth Day and Fix It day. For our efforts, the IC has been nominated for the Green Gown award. This award is supported by UN Environment, recognizes exceptional sustainability initiatives being undertaken by universities and colleges.
Do you have suggestions on how the IC can adopt more sustainable practices? We welcome your input! To attend one our green events, please check the IC events page for our Earth Day collaboration with BVC Green.
- Previous Story Women and Poetry in the Social Media Age
- Next Story Students Exploring Social Innovation at Bow Valley College