With funding from Alberta Open Educational Resources, Bow Valley College and NorQuest College collaborated to create Open Educational Resources (OER) in the form of e-textbooks for English language learners.
NorQuest College created In the Community: An Intermediate Integrated Skills Textbook. This OER:
- helps learners notice, learn, and practice English that will be helpful in your community
- gives learners practice in the four main language skills–listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- helps learners learn about intercultural skills
- helps learners develop some important essential skills
- can be used as an online textbook with interactive activities or downloaded, printed and used as a regular textbook
The textbook is aimed at Canadian Language Benchmarks levels 5/6 and has been designed to be facilitated by an instructor.