The Centre is participating in a national project led by the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks. Leveraging the expertise of Centre faculty, we have supported revisions to the Canadian Language Benchmarks 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners document which resulted in the publication of Canadian Language Benchmarks: English as a Second Language for Adult Literacy Learners (ESL for ALL).
Stage III: Development of an online training module for ESL for ALL
Bow Valley College has been involved in a three stage process undertaken by the CCLB. In 2015, the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks (CCLB) published the document Canadian Language Benchmarks: English as a Second Language for Adult Literacy Learners (ESL for ALL).
In stage three of the process, the CCLB and Bow Valley College (BVC) are partnering to develop an online training module that will support ELL instructors working with learners with literacy needs in a variety of classroom settings across Canada. The intent of the online training module will be to assist practitioners to use the revised document.
Stage II: Revision of CLB 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners.
Based on the findings from Stage I, the CCLB put out a national request for ESL Literacy experts to participate in Stage II of this project.
Centre faculty participated on the pan-Canadian writing team tasked with supporting the revisions to the CLB Literacy Benchmarks.
The project team was advised by two bodies:
- A policy advisory made up of federal and provincial government representatives, and
- A content advisory made up of ESL Literacy, Essential Skills, and Literacy experts.
The Centre was pleased to collaborate with the CCLB on this project.
For more information on the revisision of the CLB Literacy Benchmarks, visit the CCLB website.
Stage I: Development of the Revision Process for the CLB 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners
In collaboration with the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks, Government of Manitoba and a national advisory committee, Bow Valley College developed a revision process to inform the revisions of the CLB 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners. This process involved:
- Developing and distributing an electronic survey to gather key information from stakeholders across Canada regarding revisions to CLB 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners.
- Conducting focused telephone interviews with targeted stakeholders from different organizations across the country.
- Facilitating focus group meetings with ESL literacy stakeholders in western Canada (Alberta) to further inform recommendations. A similar focus group was conducted by the CCLB in eastern Canada.
- Analyzing and compiling data from the survey, telephone interviews and focus groups to determine trends, identify gaps and form recommendations for revisions.
- Developing a draft process for the revision of the literacy benchmarks document (blue print) in consultation with Manitoba.
- Sharing the process with the advisory committee and complete necessary revisions based on feedback.
At the end of Stage I, Bow Valley College submitted the following to the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks:
- a summary of findings and recommendations for the revisions to Canadian Language Benchmarks 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners
- a process for the revision of the CLB 2000: ESL for Literacy Learners