The Certified Management Accountants Strategic Leadership Program (SLP) Business Communication Support Course provided opportunities for skilled English language learners (ELL) with backgrounds in accounting who have passed the CMA Entrance Exam to acquire language skills and upgrade their accounting skills. Participants earned CMA designation, providing them pathways to meaningful Canadian employment related to the skills and experience they bring from their countries of origin.
The project afforded the creation of a supplementary course introducing internationally educated professionals to academic conventions in Canadian post secondary settings. The course, Levelling the Learning Field, focuses on building intercultural competence. The following video is a synopsis of the content in the first module of the course.
Phase I: Program Registration and Assessment
May 2011 – September 2011
- Information was advertised through the CMA website and by direct mail to CMA candidates enrolled in the SLP program.
- Candidates were invited to an information session and given the opportunity to register for the program.
- A curriculum developer and an instructor were recruited to design the curriculum and to teach the program.
Phase II: Program Delivery
September 2011 – April 2012
- Learners were assessed at ILVARC using the ELTPA to assess gains in language development.
- Potential candidates were assessed on their readiness, willingness and ability to enter a part-time program.
- Learners attended class twice a week for seven months; the delivery schedule was designed to accommodate SLP face-to-face components of the program.